Fairy Footsteps (classes for under 5's)
Children can join Fairy Footsteps ‘drop-in’ classes from the age of 18 months, and experience a fun yet thorough introduction to classical ballet. Fairy Footsteps ‘drop in’ ballet classes are fun and energetic classes helping children develop early movement skills through the use of storytelling, dress-up and creative play. The classes are aimed at children under the age of 5, and are split into three age levels.
- Mummy and Me ballet (18 months-2.5yrs) is the class in its most basic form. Parents have an active role in the class, joining in with the children to help them gain confidence at this very early stage.
- Carer/toddler ballet (2.5-3.5yrs) is a simple yet relaxed version of the class where parents/carers stay and watch, but children are now encouraged to dance independently.
- Pre-school ballet (3.3-4.5yrs) is a more structured version of the class where children are expected to attend alone, although parents can watch from the wings!
- Pre-school tap (3.5-4.5yrs)is also a story based class – but tap shoes bring a different quality of movement and rhythm to the session. Again, children attend this session unaccompanied.
- Pre-school Musical Theatre (3-4.5yrs)
Ballet - (Royal Academy of Dance (RAD) syllabus classes)
Once children start school they can attend the Royal Academy of Dance (RAD) ballet syllabus classes. These classes follow the renowned syllabus which has been carefully and expertly created by the RAD to provide fun and stimulating ballet classes, working on key technical elements which stand as a strong grounding for any dance style. The Syllabi run alongside their education with the National Curriculum, and high exam standards are internationally recognized.
The classes commence with Pre-Primary level for 4-5year olds, and continue to Primary level, Grade 1 Grade 2 etc.
Modern - (International Society of the Teachers of Dance (ISTD) syllabus Classes)
From school age children can attend Modern dance classes. Classes follow the ISTD syllabus which aim to provide a rhythmic highly energetic classes. The dance style which originated in America before travelling to the rest of the world. It is often seen on the stages of musical productions and is known for its theatrical qualities. The style uses travelling steps, high kicks, leaps and turns which all need strength and flexibility. This is a highly energetic dance style.
Tap - (Free syllabus classes)
Children can continue their pre-school tap classes once they start school with our fun free syllabus classes. Tap dance is characterized by using the sounds of tap shoes striking the floor as a form of percussion. In our classes we focus on rhythm and musicality whilst learning the increasingly complex steps and foot movements.
Musical Theatre - (Inclusive Music & Movement (IMM) class)
Musical theatre classes are the perfect opportunity to combine singing with dance/movement and basic acting skills to extend your performing arts repertoire alongside friends. We enjoy learning songs, improving our singing technique, building our confidence and putting routines and movement to our singing. Classes are a mix of well known, pop, charts and musical theatre.
Friendship House, Elm Grove, Southsea, Hants, PO5 1JT 07890675689